Service of legal papers

Service is the procedure used to give notice to a person (such as a respondent) of the papers you filed with the court. This notifies the other party of the action and allows the other party to respond to the proceeding if they so choose. Service is completed by delivering a set of court documents to the person to be served.

Who can serve the papers?

You are NOT allowed to personally serve papers in your own case. Any person 18 years or older may serve papers, except the petitioner or respondent in your case. The person can be a friend, relative, or anyone else. You can also hire a professional to serve the papers for you. They are listed in the phone book under Process Servers.

© 2011 Superior Court of California, County of Riverside