Name Change

In order to get a court order changing your name or a child’s name, you must file a petition in the Superior Court in the county where you live. You can then use the court order to change the birth certificate, passport, social security card, driver’s license, and other documents. After you file your petition to change the name, you will get a court hearing. Before your hearing, you will have to put a notice in a court-approved newspaper for 4 weeks in a row, one day per week. If you are trying to change the name of your child, you will also have to let the other parent know so that s/he has a chance to come to court if s/he doesn’t agree. If both parents agree, they both can sign the petition to change their child’s name.  

© 2011 Superior Court of California, County of Riverside