failure to appear or Pay

If you fail to appear or pay your fine by the due date, the court will mail a Failure to Appear/Pay notice to the address on the citation. If mailed, there is a presumption that the notice has been received. There is no requirement that the court prove that you actually received the notice, only that it was mailed.

What are the Consequences for Failure to Appear/Pay?

If you fail to appear by the date listed on your ticket or to pay your fine by the due date, the court will add a $300 civil assessment and a DMV hold on your driver’s license may apply.  Failing to appear may also result in a wage garnishment and/or lien on your property.

How to Resolve a Civil Assessment

If you received a civil assessment notice, you may pay the fine in full by the due date to avoid further penalties. If a $300 civil assessment was imposed, you may pay this amount plus the original fine or bail. If you pay your fine in full, the DMV hold will be removed and no further action will be required. If you are unable to pay your fine in full, you may request a payment plan. To pay your fine full, click here. To request a payment plan, click here.

Contesting a Civil Assessment

If you have good reason that prevented you from making an appearance or paying your citation on or before the due date, you may request that the court remove your civil assessment.  Click here for more information and instructions on how to address your civil assessment.

© 2011 Superior Court of California, County of Riverside