The Juvenile Court is a division of the Riverside Superior Court handling both dependency and delinquency matters.

Juvenile Delinquency

Proceedings involve the protection of children who have been or are at risk of being abused, neglected, or abandoned.

Juvenile Delinquency

Proceedings involve children under the age of 18 alleged to have committed a delinquent act, which would be a crime if committed by an adult.

Find Information About ...  Collapse All Expand All  

Dependency Court

The Juvenile Dependency Court is responsible for processing all matters involving minors under the age of 18, which have been a victim of neglect or abuse by their guardians or parents. The main goal of the Dependency Court is to provide safety for these children and to ensure that the children receive a permanent home, either through re-unification with their parents, long term foster care or through adoption.

Delinquency Court

The Juvenile Delinquency Court handles proceedings that involve most persons under the age of 18 who have been alleged to have committed a violation of a law or statute. The purpose of the delinquency court is to protect the community from children who commit acts of delinquency.

Juvenile Traffic


The hearing will be set the day following the filing your ex parte paperwork. All ex parte applications are to comply with CRC rule 3.1200 et. seq. (and in particular, rules 3.1203 and 3.1204). An optional form (Declaration Regarding Notice of Ex Parte Application) may be found on the court’s website under the link for Fees & Forms. The court may review the ex parte request in chambers prior the hearing. If the court determines that the moving party has not established good cause for ex parte relief and denies the ex parte request, the courtroom assistant will notify the moving party that their request was denied and the hearing will not proceed. The moving party is required to notify the opposing party of the denial and that the hearing has been taken off calendar. Each department may have specific days and times for hearing ex-partes. For more information please see the trial rules for each department.

Western Riverside:


Requests for ex parte relief can be filed at the ex parte counter in the clerk’s office (located at the Attorney Services Counter) or online through the court’s website. All ex parte hearings will be set in the department assigned for all purposes.

Moreno Valley Unlawful Detainers

All Ex Parte Applications for unlawful detainer cases for the Moreno Valley jurisdiction shall be filed at the counter and received by the court no later than 11:00 am the day of the hearing in order to be heard the same day.

Eastern Riverside:

Requests for ex parte relief should be filed in the civil clerk’s office or online through the court’s website. Ex parte hearings will be set in the department assigned for all purposes.

Civil Trial Department Orders and Procedures

Complex Civil Litigation

Departments 5 and 10 have been designated as Riverside Superior Court’s only complex litigation departments.

All complex cases filed in Riverside Superior Court will be assigned to Department 5 or Department 10 for all purposes, including trial.

This applies to complex cases filed in all of the court’s three geographical divisions: Western (Riverside), Mid-County (Murrieta), and Eastern (Palm Springs).

Civility Guidelines

Palm Springs First Friday Voluntary Settlement Conference Program

Information for Mandatory Settlement Conferences (Historic Courthouse)

Expedited Jury Trials (EJT)

What is an Expedited Jury Trial (EJT)?

An EJT is a short jury trial, generally lasting one day. It is quicker and less expensive than a traditional jury trial. Parties must request an EJT and stipulate (agree) to certain rules; the court cannot order parties to participate in EJTs.

Where are the EJT rules?

What are the differences between EJTs and regular jury trials?
In EJTs:
  • Each side has 3 hours to present its case, including witness testimony, evidence and arguments.
  • The jury has eight (8) jurors (no alternates) and requires six (6) jurors to reach a verdict.
  • Each side is allowed 15 minutes for jury voir dire.
  • All parties must waive their right to an appeal. (Appeals are only allowed in very limited circumstances.)
  • Before trial, the parties may enter into a 'high/low agreement" to guarantee a minimum/maximum amount of recovery regardless of the jury's verdict.

What types of cases are appropriate for EJTs?
  • Cases with only one or two issues, such as personal injury cases where liability is not an issue and the only issue is the amount of damages.
  • Cases in which both sides want an EJT.
  • Cases in which the attorneys or self-represented parties can cooperatively work together to stipulate to the consent order and other procedural matters, such as the timing for exchanging exhibits and witness lists before trial.

How do we request an EJT?

To request an Expedited Jury Trial, the parties must complete and file a:
[Proposed] Consent Order for Expedited Jury Trial (EJT-020) (external site pdf ).

Note that these are optional forms.

Judicial officers or parties may raise EJTs as a possibility at Case Management Conferences, Trial Setting Conferences and Mandatory Settlement Conferences.

Is there any assistance available for completing the Consent Order for EJT?

Yes. If your case is going through mediation and does not appear to be resolving, you may ask your mediator for assistance in negotiating the terms of the Consent Order.

You may retain a mediator to help negotiate the terms of the Consent Order.

Options include:

The Court's Civil Mediation Panel

RCBA's Dispute Resolution Service (DRS) (external site )

Where can I find additional information about EJTs?

For more information, please see the EJT Information Sheet (EJT-010-INFO) (external site pdf )