Skip to main content
Skip to main content.

2024 Escheatment Claim Instructions and Forms:

If you were mailed a notice - See the claim steps/instructions here


Civil Court

Lawsuits in civil court can involve a range of areas involving disputes over money, title or possession of real property, enforcing a contract, protecting one's civil rights, or seeking compensation for a civil tort.

Civil court can provide for legal remedies, such as monetary damages, and equitable remedies, including injunctions. Civil courts cannot send someone to jail or prison.

Civil Jurisdictions

Unlimited Civil

A lawsuit with a monetary amount greater than $35,000.00 to get property back, to force someone to complete a contract, or to protect someone’s civil rights.

Limited Civil

A lawsuit with a monetary amount of $35,000.00 or less to get property back, to force someone to complete a contract, or to protect someone’s civil rights.


Learn More about Remote Civil Jury Trials

Find Information About

Many people resolve their cases before trial with the help of ADR.

ADR offers alternatives to trial including mediation, arbitration and settlement conferences. These informal processes are faster, more private, less expensive and less stressful than litigation and trial. The Riverside Superior Court encourages parties to participate in ADR and provides a range of opportunities to do so from the Case Management Conference to the day of trial.

For more information visit the Alternative Dispute Resolution site.


The hearing will be set the day following the filing of your ex parte paperwork. All ex parte applications are to comply with California Rules of Court, rule 3.1200 et. seq. (in particular, rules 3.1203 and 3.1204). An optional form (Declaration Regarding Notice of Ex Parte Application) may be found on the court’s website under Forms & Filing > Local Forms. The court may review the ex parte request in chambers prior the hearing. If the court determines that the moving party has not established good cause for ex parte relief and denies the ex parte request, the courtroom assistant will notify the moving party that their request was denied and the hearing will not proceed. The moving party is required to notify the opposing party of the denial and that the hearing has been taken off calendar. Each department may have specific days and times for ex-parte hearings. For more information please see the trial rules for each department.

Filing Procedures:



Pursuant to Local Rule 3118, eFiling is mandatory for parties represented by counsel.  Ex Parte applications shall be submitted over eFiling through your selected Electronic Filing Service Provider (EFSP).  See the Court’s General Order 2022-1, section 9 for more information about ex parte application submissions.

NOTE: Any ex parte application that is filed concurrently with a new complaint is exempt from eFiling and can be filed at the counter.

Self-Represented Litigants

Self-represented litigants may use electronic filing but are not required to do so.  If you are representing yourself, you may use eFiling through a selected Electronic Filing Service Provider (EFSP) to submit an ex parte application.  You may also bring the paperwork to the clerk’s office for processing.

All ex parte hearings will be set in the department assigned for all purposes.

All complex cases filed in Riverside Superior Court will be assigned to Department 1 for all purposes, including trial.

This applies to complex cases filed in all of the court’s three geographical divisions: Western (Riverside), Mid-County (Murrieta), and Eastern (Palm Springs).

What is an Expedited Jury Trial (EJT)?

An EJT is a short jury trial, generally lasting one day. It is quicker and less expensive than a traditional jury trial. Parties must request an EJT and stipulate (agree) to certain rules; the court cannot order parties to participate in EJTs.

Where are the EJT rules?

What are the differences between EJTs and regular jury trials?

In EJTs:

  • Each side has 3 hours to present its case, including witness testimony, evidence and arguments.
  • The jury has eight (8) jurors (no alternates) and requires six (6) jurors to reach a verdict.
  • Each side is allowed 15 minutes for jury voir dire.
  • All parties must waive their right to an appeal. (Appeals are only allowed in very limited circumstances.)
  • Before trial, the parties may enter into a 'high/low agreement" to guarantee a minimum/maximum amount of recovery regardless of the jury's verdict.

What types of cases are appropriate for EJTs?

  • Cases with only one or two issues, such as personal injury cases where liability is not an issue and the only issue is the amount of damages.
  • Cases in which both sides want an EJT.
  • Cases in which the attorneys or self-represented parties can cooperatively work together to stipulate to the consent order and other procedural matters, such as the timing for exchanging exhibits and witness lists before trial.

How do we request an EJT?

To request an Expedited Jury Trial, the parties must complete and file a:

[Proposed] Consent Order for Expedited Jury Trial (EJT-020) (external site pdf ).

Note that these are optional forms.

Judicial officers or parties may raise EJTs as a possibility at Case Management Conferences, Trial Setting Conferences and Mandatory Settlement Conferences.

Is there any assistance available for completing the Consent Order for EJT?

Yes. If your case is going through mediation and does not appear to be resolving, you may ask your mediator for assistance in negotiating the terms of the Consent Order.

You may retain a mediator to help negotiate the terms of the Consent Order.

Options include:

The Court's Civil Mediation Panel

RCBA's Dispute Resolution Service (DRS) (external site )

Where can I find additional information about EJTs?

For more information, please see the EJT Information Sheet (EJT-010-INFO) (external site pdf )

California Research Bureau - Notice Requirements Pursuant to AB 2494

In 2014, the California State Legislature enacted Assembly Bill 2494 (Cooley, Chapter 425, Statutes of 2014) which, in part, creates a mechanism whereby a copy of court filings that accuse a party in law of having engaged in frivolous actions or tactics in court are to be submitted to the California Research Bureau (CRB) via electronic mail.

The bill amends Sect. 128.5 of the California Code of Civil Procedure to read, in part,

(1) A party who files a motion pursuant to this section shall, promptly upon filing, transmit to the California Research Bureau of the California State Library, by email, a copy of the endorsed, filed caption page of the motion or opposition, a copy of any related notice of appeal or petition for a writ, and a conformed copy of any order issued pursuant to this section, including any order granting or denying the motion. The party shall also indicate whether a motion for sanctions was made pursuant to Section 128.7.

(2) The California Research Bureau shall maintain a public record of information transmitted pursuant to this section for at least three years, or until this section is repealed, whichever occurs first, and may store the information on microfilm or other appropriate electronic media.

Documents may be submitted electronically to the CRB at Alternately, interested parties may contact the CRB by telephone at (916) 653-7843.

Further information is available on the California State Library website (external site pdf ).

An unlawful detainer lawsuit is a civil case brought by a landlord to obtain possession of rented property and receive payment of back rent. In order to legally evict a tenant (remove and lock the tenant out of the property), the landlord must file an unlawful detainer case. An award for possession of property authorizes the landlord to evict the tenant from the property. If the landlord is also awarded judgment for payment of back rent, he or she may collect the judgment by garnishing the tenant’s wages, attaching the tenant’s property, or any other legal means.

For more information visit the Self Help Unlawful Detainer site.

Where the court reviews the reasonableness of the terms of a settlement on behalf of a minor or disabled adult, and/or directs how the proceeds of a settlement or judgment should be managed.

Petitions for minor's compromise are filing in Probate.