Court Reporter Information / Requesting Transcripts

Official court reporters for Riverside Superior Court provide the verbatim record of court proceedings in felony criminal, juvenile delinquency and dependency cases, as provided by statute. Reporters are also provided in other courtrooms such as family law, civil trials and probate. Certain types of hearings are not reported such as Small Claims, Unlawful Detainers, Traffic and Infractions, Misdemeanor calendars, and Limited Civil Collection matters.

In addition to a permanent staff of offical court reporters, the court utilizes the services of additional certified contract reporters on a temporary basis, as needed.

 Collapse All Expand All  

Availability of Court Reporters

The proceedings for which official court reporters shall normally be provided will be posted in the clerk’s office at each court facility. Below you will find the posted Notices of Availability of Court Reporters.

Court Reporter Appearance Fees vs. Purchasing a Transcript

There is a difference between paying “court reporter appearance fees” and “purchasing a transcript.” Court reporter appearance fees are collectible in any civil case, which includes all matters other than criminal and juvenile matters (Government Code § 68086(a)1-3).   Link to External Site: California Legislative Information -

Court reporter appearance fees shall be due and payable from the beginning of hearing or trial. “Beginning” is defined as the moment the matter is assigned to the trial court and the judicial officer calls the action for trial or hearing.

Unless the Court orders otherwise for good cause, a half-day fee shall be charged for any matter lasting more than one hour. A full day shall be charged for any matter lasting more than four hours.

  1. All parties shall deposit their pro rata share of court reporter appearance fees with the clerk of the court on the beginning court day and each succeeding court day thereafter.
  2. Court reporter appearance fees must be deposited in the appropriate court location and division.
  3. For any hearing estimated to last more than one hour, each party shall deposit their pro rata share of $378.00.  For any hearing estimated to last more than four hours, each party shall deposit their pro rata share of $756.00.
  4. If, for whatever reason (fee waiver/governmental agency), one side is not required to post fees, the other side(s) shall still be responsible for their pro rata share.
  5. Any delay in payment or deviation from the above procedures shall immediately be referred to the trial judge for resolution.

When purchasing a transcript from an individual court reporter, the person or party is contracting with that individual court reporter for the actual transcript of the proceedings. Transcript costs are governed by Government Code Section 69950.   Link to External Site: California Legislative Information - All arrangements for preparation, delivery and payment of transcript are between the requesting party and the individual court reporter.

Requesting Court Transcripts

How Do I Purchase a Court Reporter Transcript?

Attorneys or private citizens who would like to purchase a verbatim record of a public court proceeding may purchase a transcript directly from the court reporter who reported the hearing.  The interested party should personally contact the court reporter and make arrangements for the preparation of the transcript.  The following information will be required before a transcript can be prepared:

  • Name of court reporter
  • Case Number
  • Date of proceedings
  • Name of judge/department

How Do I Request a Court Transcript?

Once you have all the information listed above complete the Online Transcript Request Form and submit it electronically; or

Complete the Transcript Request Form and mail the form to the Supervising Court Reporter as indicated on the form.

Transcript Request on Juvenile Cases:

A party requesting a transcript on a juvenile case must submit a Request for Disclosure of Juvenile Case File (JV-570) to the juvenile clerk’s office. This process will not apply to transcript requests from the Appeals Department or from attorneys on the juvenile case such as JDP and County Counsel.

Locating the Court Reporter

If you need to locate any of the above information, you can obtain it by Searching Court Records to view the case online. Be sure to select the correct court location from the drop-down menu and have your court case number ready.

The name of the court reporter who reported the hearing is located in the minute order for that hearing date.  All the information needed for the Transcript Request Form may be viewed online or on the public terminals that are located in the clerk’s or self-help offices at each court facility.

Please check the list of court reporters (pdf ) to assist you in determining whether the reporter is a current staff reporter or a contract reporter. Once contacted, the reporter will contact the requestor to confirm the hearing information, payment method, and mailing address or to schedule a transcript pick up date.

How much will my transcript cost?

Once the court reporter receives your transcript request, the reporter will contact you.  The reporter will give you the estimated or actual cost of the transcript.  The reporter will discuss payment for the transcript, the length of time it will take to complete the transcript, and delivery options.  The reporter will respond to any other questions you may have regarding your transcript request.

What if I need my transcript A.S.A.P.?

If your request is urgent, please indicate that on the request form in the comment box.  The reporter should respond within two (2) business days.  If not, contact the appropriate regional supervisor.

In some cases it may not be possible for a court reporter to provide a transcript on a rush basis, but every effort will be made to meet the request.

Please keep in mind that:

  • Court reporters work in court all day; response time may not be immediate.
  • You will be required to send in a payment payable to the individual reporter. The reporter will not begin preparation of the transcript until payment is received.
  • Time required for delivery of the transcript varies depending on the length of the transcript and the court reporter’s workload.

From how far back in time can I request a transcript?

According to state law (Government Code § 68152(j)7), the court reporters’ notes for criminal cases are destroyed after ten years, and notes for civil cases are destroyed after five years. The notes for death penalty cases are never destroyed.

Proceedings older than ten years may no longer be available to be transcribed.

Please Note: The following types of matters are not reported and an official transcript is NOT available: small claims, limited civil collection matters, unlawful detainers (landlord-tenant disputes), infractions, traffic and misdemeanors.